This tutorial is for beginners in programming who wants to learn Java. In this tutorial you get to know the prerequisites for learning Java.
Learning Java: What are the prerequisites for learning Java?
In this article we will see the pre-requisites for learning the Java programming language and also see the steps for getting started with the Java programming language. Learning Java is time consuming task for new comers in programming. But if have prior knowledge of C or C++ then you can learn Java fast. Java is fully object oriented programming just like C++, but Java made programming much simpler by easy syntax and automatic garbage collection. Java is also platform independent programming language which makes is portable across platform. Developers are using Java at very large scale for developing enterprise applications.
In this article you will learn about the necessary prerequisites for getting started with Java and learning all the concepts of Java programming language. Here are the prerequisites for learning Java.
Pre-requisites for learning Java
- You should have prior knowledge of using the computers and basics concepts in software.
- You should know the basics of computer, programming and software.
- You should have fair of working of the software.
- If you have some experience in programming in C or C++ then you can easily learn Java programming language
- Most of the computer engineering students have prior knowledge of C and C++. So, they can learn Java quickly.
- Even if you don't have C or C++ experience you can start learning Java, but here extra thing is to learn the basics of programming and how program works. You may check What is software programming?, How to make a career in Software development? and Software Programming.
- If you have experience in any of the Object Oriented Programming language you can directly start learning Java.
- Finally you should have strong will to learn and master Java programming language. Learning Java is takes a lots of time and efforts. So, you have to be hard working and dedicated towards learning Java Programming language.
In a nutshell you must have knowledge of computer and the basics of programming. If you don't have computer knowledge then first learn how to use computer, use the terminal and shell of computer. Usually almost all the people have these skills. So, after learning the computer skills you should learn about the working of software, what is a software, how software works and then learn what is programming language etc.. After learning all these you will be position of staring with the Java programming language on our website we have 1000s of tutorials of Java programming language which will help you in learning it step by step.
If you are from the computer science filed and you know the basics of C++ or any other Object Oriented Programming language then learning Java will be much easier for you. Check our section Java Programming tutorials to get started with Java.
What to do if I don't have any prior programming experience?
This is the first question that will come into your mind if you don't have any programming experience in want to learn Java for making career in software development field. If you don't have any programming experience then it will take a little time (4-5 days) to understand the basics of software programming. After understanding the way computer program works and the methodology of developing software applications, you can start learning Java from scratch. You can also join training course in your area or join our Java online training course for learning Java fast and with ease.
How to should I start learning Java?
Once you decided to learn Java then the next question is to how to go about learning Java? To learn Java you should start from beginning. The first step is to find out why we should learn Java and what can be done with the Java programming language? Check the following pages to learn in detail:
What is the use of Java?
- Learn the real use of Java in for developing various types of
New to programming... -
If you are new to Java see how our website provides tons of
tutorials in Java programming language.
How to Get Started with Java?
- Explains you the basics and provides links to get started with
Why You Should Learn Java in 2018
and beyond? - Java is one
of the most used OOPs programming language for developing and
deploying enterprise applications on heterogeneous platforms.
Check why Java is still relevant and will be one of top
programming language in future also.
Easiest way to learn Java
- Check what is the easiest way of learning Java?
How to learn Java with no programming experience?
- If you don't have programming experience even then you can
learn Java programming. Check how this is possible?
Learn Java Programming for beginners
- Beginners in Java programming can also learn Java with their
dedication and consistent efforts.
Hardware and Software requirements for Java
- What are the hardware and software requirements for learning
- How to learn Java? - Finally check how you can learn Java starting from beginning?
How to start learning Java?
Next you have to install and configure JDK on your operating system. Windows operating system is easy for getting started. After installing and configuring Java Development kit you should learn the steps to write, compile and then test your first Java program. So, the first step is to prepare your system and run first Java Application (usually its Java Hello World example). Here are the steps for getting started with Java:
- Installing and
configuring JDK on your system: In this setup you have
to configure Java Development Kit (JDK) on your operating
system. You can check
Installing JDK 9 on Windows 10,
Installing JDK 8 on Windows 10 and configuring the settings,
Beginners Java Tutorials - Installing JDK,
Install JDK 10 on Windows,
How to install JDK in Centos? and
How to Install Oracle Java JDK 8 in Ubuntu 16.04?
tutorial pages for completing this phase of learning. With the
help of information given on these pages you will be able to
install and configure JDK on operating system of your choice.
- Writing and testing Hello World Program in Java: Now the next step is to write your first Java program and test on your system. Check Core Java Hello World Example, Core Java Hello World Example, Hello world (First java program), Simple Java Programs for Beginners, Very simple 'Hello world' java program that prints HelloWorld and JAVA7 : "Hello World" Example tutorial pages for learning Hello World program in Java. This step will give you confidence in learning Java.
The next step is to learn important concepts of Java quickly and you can learn these important concepts of Java with the help of tutorials given in following sections:
You can find complete Java tutorials in the following sections of our website:
- Use of Java
- Learn the various ways in which Java programming language is
used in the industry.
- Getting Started with Java
- How to get started to learn Java language?
- Introduction to Java
- This tutorial is an introduction to the Java programming
Example Codes and Tutorials - Java
tutorials organized in categories for easy reference.
- Java NIO Package Tutorial
- Learn how to use Java NIO package.
- Java/JDK 11 Tutorial
- JDK 11 examples.
- New to Java programming
- Are you new to Java? Check many Java tips here.
- Java 9 Tutorial, news and examples
- Example of JDK 9.
- Image Processing Tutorials in Java Programming Language
- How to write Java programs for processing images?
- Learn the Java 8 and master the new features of JDK 8
- Tutorials for Learning Java 8.
- Java Programming Tutorials for beginners
- These are best tutorials for beginners.
- Java Programming video tutorial for beginners
- Want to learn Java through video instructions? Check this section.
- Java Tutorial
- Many Java programming examples to practice with.
- Java File - Learn how to handle files in Java with Examples and Tutorials
- The file handling is very import topic in Java programming which every
developer must master. Check these tutorials for learning handling of files
in Java programming language.
- Java File Programming
- Many example of processing files in Java.
- FTP Programming in Java tutorials with example code
- FTP is file transfer protocol for transferring file to and from FTP
server. In this section many examples of Java to interact with FTP server
has been developed. You should check all these FTP examples.
- Java Input/Output Examples
- The Input/output operations in Java is very extensively used. As a
beginner in Java you should learn it well.
- Java EE6 Tutorial
- Tutorials of Java EE6.
- Java EE 6 Tutorial
- Tutorials of Java Enterprise Edition 6.
- Java SE 7 -
Tutorials of Java Standard Edition 7 (JDK 7).
- Java Courses
- Java online training courses from our technical team. These training
courses are delivered online through video conferencing software.
- Java - JDK Tutorials
- Many example of Java/JDK for practicing.
- Corejava Interview,Corejava questions,Corejava Interview Questions,Corejava
- In this section we have interview
questions for helping you in preparing for interviews.
- Core Java Interview Question, Interview Question
- Interview questions and answers for Core Java.
- An Overview of Java Java is a programming - Java is Object Oriented Programming
- Advanced topics of Java which will help you in mastering Java
- Overview of Networking through JAVA
- Networking in Java programming language.
- Java Testing
- What is software testing and how it is done in Java?
- Properties file in Java
- Learn to work with the properties files in Java programming
- Tutorials of methods in Java programming lanuage.
- Java Training and Tutorials, Core Java Training
- Our team is giving online training in Java programming
- Wrapper Class Tutorial and Examples
- Examples of wrapper classes in Java.
- Overview of Networking through JAVA
- What is networking in Java and how to use various Java
- Java Get Example
- Different ways you can get the data form Java object in
runtime. For example how to get timestamp value in Java?, Get
byteArray from file etc..
- JavaFX 3D Effect Example
- Examples of various JavaFX 3D effects.
- Java 5.0
- Learn the APIs of Java 5.0.
- Java API
- Check which all API's are available in Java Programming
- Java Date - How to work with the Date API in Java?
- Java Comparison
- Many examples of comparing values in Java programming
- Check examples of Java Bigdecimal
and Java Biginteger
- Java Break example
- How to use break statement in your Java programming language?
- Java Write
- How to write to file or stream in Java?
- Examples of POI3.0
- Many example of Apache POI framework.
- Java Swing Tutorials
- Learn wing programming here.
- Java Exceptions Tutorials With Examples
- Exception handling is explained with many Java example codes.
- Threading in Java
- Multi threading is one of most used features of Java for
executing a program in Java in many threads.
Here are the terms of Java which every developer should learn:
- Java Glossary
- A - Java Glossary
- B - Java Glossary
- Java Glossary Term - D
- Java Glossary Term - E
- Java Glossary Term - F
- Java Glossary Term - G
- Java Glossary Term - H
- Java Glossary Term - I
- Java Glossary Term - J
- K - Java Glossary
- L - Java Glossary
- Java Glossary Term - M - Java Important Terms - Java Programming Glossary
- N - Java Glossary
- O - Java Glossary
- P - Java Glossary
- Q - Java Terms
- R - Java Terms
- S - Java Terms
- T - Java Terms
- U - Java Terms
- V - Java Terms
- W - Java Terms
- X - Java Terms
- Y - Java Terms
- Z - Java Terms
You must also learn data types, operators, Control Statements and OOPs concepts of Java Programming language.
After leaning to make simple programs with the use of various Java data types, operators and control statements, you should start learning OOPS concepts of Java Programming language. The OOPs concepts are heart of Java programming language and every Java developer must learn these concepts very well.
You should learn following OOPs principals of Java programming language:
- Encapsulation - The Encapsulation is used to hide the data from behaviour of the class.
- Polymorphism - The Polymorphism allows the objects in Java to take many forms.
- Inheritance - The Inheritance is a mechanism in Java where child class can acquire the properties of its parent classes.
- Abstraction - Abstraction is feature in Java which allows exposing only the essential features of the object.
These are the tutorials for learning OOPs concepts in Java: