Vehicle Tracking and Recovery System
Vehicle tracking originated from the shipping industry, where the need for managing fleets is the top priority. The tracking system makes it easy in locating ships or vehicle easily on real time basis. It provides power to individual or operator to have full control over its moving asset.
It is also used as a defense mechanism which protects the vehicles such as construction equipments, trucks, trailers etc. from theft. This is done with the help of some electronic equipment attached to the vehicles so that the location of the missing vehicle can be identified as early as possible.
Devices used to locate and recover:
- Various systems are used to locate the stolen vehicle Mostly GPS, the Global Positioning System, is used to find out the exact geographic position of the vehicle.
- Another device is satellite transmitters, which transmits signal to a remote user about the location of the vehicle.
- Loran and Lojack units locate the vehicle by radio frequency that can penetrate through stone-built structures such as walls, buildings and garages.
Mainly two types of tracking are described: Active tracking and Passive tracking.
- Active tracking works on real time basis that is after collecting information about location, speed, and destination, the device sends it to data centre. Radio frequency is active technology.
- Passive tracking works as long as vehicle is on destination. It stores GPS data that can be later downloaded to the computer. Here different tracking software is available for storing and downloading data.
This technology is best used by fleet operators for better management. Everything routing, dispatch, onboard information, security is managed efficiently. Driving behaviour can also be known by this device.
Technology holds good for consumers’ vehicles also. Device also makes the task of police to recover the stolen vehicles easily. It also works as alert system and raise an alarm when vehicle is removed from the place without authority. Information regarding its location, status and daily reports can be taken on real time basis from the vehicle itself.
Field of uses:
Technology can be used for different purposes including service management, fleet management, stolen vehicle recovery, field sales and trailer tracking.