Introduction to Apache Geronimo application Server
Apache Geronimo application server is fully JEE certified open source application server in the market. Apache Geronimo project uses best open source software to creates world class runtime environment for running J2EE applications.
Apache Geronimo server is fully certified Java EE 5 application used to deploy high performance enterprise applications.
Apache Geronimo application is module application server consisting of various modules that can be added or removed to provide ideal solution to the businesses. This makes Apache Geronimo very customizable and easily extendable.
Here is the screen shot of index page of Apace Geronimo Application Server:
Advantages of Apache Geronimo
Apache Geronimo application server provides many benefits to the programmers. Here are the benefits of Apache Geronimo application server:
- Fully Java JEE 5 Certified application server
- Module application server
- Application server is build on Best available Open Source components
- Integrated support to Apache Derby DB and LDAP
- Sever comes with Web based administration tool to make the administration process easy
- If required custom distribution is can be made
- Its released under Apache License, so developers can develop commercial application without
- Apache Geronimo is adopted by IBM as a component of its Websphere product line
- Server Provides Manageability of all the services and components
- Custom-developed components can be used to provide high performance
- JSR 88 Support
Apache Geronimo Version
The latest version of Apache Geronimo is v2.1 at the time of writing of tutorial. Which can be downloaded from http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html
The first version of Apache Geronimo v1.0 was released on January 5, 2006. Since then there is significance improvement made to the server.
In the next section we will download the latest version of the Apache Geronimo application server and then install on our development machine.