About Lodhi Garden of Delhi
Located on the Lodhi Road, between the Khan Market and the Safdarjung's Tomb is the magnificent and eye-catching Lodhi Garden New Delhi. It is a serene spot amidst the huge populous and clattery regions of Delhi. The place is a paradise for joggers and morning walkers for the dwellers of Delhi. People of all ages come for their morning strolls and daily exercises to the premises of this garden. These lush green and the monuments offer a calm and fresh atmosphere to the people visiting the place early morning.
However, the Lodhi Gardens also attract a number of tourists from across the globe throughout the year. The beautiful gardens were established in between the 15th and 16th century by the Sayyids and the Lodhis, who ruled over Delhi in those contemporary times. The medieval monuments and the green coverings of the gardens offer a calm atmosphere to the visitors of the place. These gardens were re-landscaped in 1968 by J.A. Stein and Garret Eckbo. They gave this garden its present look.
Inside the Lodhi garden premises:
Inside the Lodhi Gardens are the two famous tombs. The first one of them is of Mohammad Shah. He was the last of the Sayyid rulers. It was built in the premises by Ala-ud-din Alam Shah as a tribute to Mohammad Shah in 1444 A.D. This tomb is visible from the road and is one of the earliest structures that was constructed in the gardens.
Another historical tomb is of Sikander Lodhi. This tomb was built by his son Ibrahim Lodhi, who was the last ruler of the Lodhi Dynasty in Delhi, in 1517 A.D. The tomb portrays a similar architecture to that of the tomb of Mohammad Shah. It is an octagonal tomb with the centre being in the shape of an octagon.
The architects, J.A. Stein and Garret Eckbo, also installed a glass house within the park which is also equally picturesque.
Other establishments in the garden premise:
In the centre of the garden lies the Bara Gumbad. It is not a tomb but rather a dome shaped gate way. It is a rubble-shaped dome which serves as a gateway to the three domed Mosque inside the premises of the Lodhi Gardens. The dome and the mosque were built in 1494 A.D. during the reign of Sikander Lodhi.
As history still remains to be unfolding, there are a few burials of a family, the identity of whom is still not known to the historians. These burials have another tomb like structure built on them, called the Sheesh Gumbad; this lies opposite to the Bara Gumbad.
The old course of the River Yamuna is still found to be connected to the tomb of Sikender Lodhi in the Lodhi Gardens. Near the Sikender's Tomb is the Athpula or the Eight Piered Bridge. This is one of the last monuments build by the Mughals in India during the reign of the great Akbar.
Construction of the Lodhi garden Delhi:
At one time, two villages grew around the two monuments. Later, these villages were re-installed in different locations of Delhi to construct a garden in this area. During the British rule, these gardens were landscaped by Lady Willingdon, the wife of the then Governor General of India, Marquess of Willingdon. The garden was named as Lady Willingdon Park and was inaugurated on April 9, 1936. Later on it was again named as the Lodhi Gardens in 1968.
The Lodhi Gardens is presently under the surveillance of the Archeological Survey of India. They take the pain to maintain the décor and beauty of the gardens. A lot of visitors visit the gardens daily, especially those who have an insatiable interested in the medieval history and its form of splendid architecture.
Posted on: June 27, 2011 If you enjoyed this post then why not add us on Google+? Add us to your Circles