Integrate Struts, Hibernate and Spring
In this section you will learn how to download required software for our
Login and Registration Application. In this tutorial we are using one of the
best technologies (Struts, Hibernate and Spring). This tutorial is very good if
you want to learn the process of integrating these technologies in your
application and developed highly scalable and robust web application.
The latest version of Struts can be downloaded from
We are using Struts version
The latest version of Hibernate can be downloaded from
We are using hibernate-3.1.3 for this tutorial.
The latest version of Spring Framework can be downloaded from
We are using spring-framework-1.2.8-with-dependencies for this tutorial.
Setting up Development Directory:
Development directory is very important for any project. It helps you
organize all the software components to make the development process easy. In
the web development process you make changes to the program and then compile,
package and deploy on the application on the application server. Once the
application is deployed you test the effect of your changes. This is repetitive
task in the programming, so its is very important to have good directory structure
that helps you reduce the time taken in compilation and deployment process. In
our application we are using tomcat server. Here are the process to integrate
all the components and then compile and test your development directory structure.
If you don't want to waste the time in setting up the directory structure you
can download the full application from our website. To
download the code click here.
- Extract "struts-blank.war" into copy the directory "struts-blank"
to "integrated\src" and rename the directory struts-blank
- Copy all the files from "spring-framework-1.2.8-with-dependencies\spring-framework-1.2.8\dist"
- Copy hibernate3.jar from hibernate-3.1.3\hibernate-3.1 into \integrated\src\project\WEB-INF\lib.
- Copy all the files from "hibernate-3.1.3\hibernate-3.1\lib"
- Download "applicationContext-hibernate.xml" and "jdbc.properties"
files and then place in the
- Modify the "jdbc.properties" and change the following
parameters for your database:
- Create an directory "libext" under "project\WEB-INF\".
This directory will be used in our project to place the library files that
which will used to compile the java classes. For compiling Servlets we need
the Servlet, so you find "servlet-api.jar" from you tomcat
server and copy in "libext" directory.
- Download "build.xml" file and replace the "build.xml"
file present in "project\WEB-INF\src" directory.
- In the build.xml file you can change the jar file name for your
application by changing the following
<property name="project.jar.file" value="project.jar"/>
When you run ant compile from command prompt, all the java files will be
compiled and a jar file is created and placed in the lib directory.
- Now copy the project directory to webapps directory of your tomcat
- Start the tomcat and type http://localhost:8080/project in browser.
Your browser should show the default welcome page that comes with
In this section you have setup the directory structure for your web
application and tested on the tomcat server.