EJB Books

Professional EJB Books Written for the experienced Java developer or manager, Professional EJB provides a truly in-depth guide to using Enterprise Java Beans, including versions 1.0 and 2.0. Filled with practical advice for good design and performance an

EJB Books

EJB Books

1. Professional EJB Books
    Written for the experienced Java developer or manager, Professional EJB provides a truly in-depth guide to using Enterprise Java Beans, including versions 1.0 and 2.0. Filled with practical advice for good design and performance and plenty of useful sample code, this title is one of the best available guides to working with this powerful component standard. While some titles on EJB are long on theory and short on the nuts and bolts of actually deploying and running beans on real platforms, this book distinguishes itself with plenty of practical code as well as the XML descriptors needed to deploy each sample. (With EJB the genius is in the details-more so than with most programming topics-and the authors supply the necessary deployment specifics here.) Weighing in at over 1,200 pages, this text is massive but exceptionally well paced.

2. EJB Design Patterns
    The job of the EJB developer is constantly challenging, making the task of designing maintainable and scalable systems difficult without a clear set of best practices to follow. It is with this and other concerns in mind that Floyd Marinescu  worked with thousands of J2EE professionals on TheServerSide to put their collective knowledge together in order to build a library of design patterns, strategies, and best practices for EJB design and development. EJB Design Patterns goes beyond high-level design pattern descriptions into critical EJB-specific implementation issues, illustrated with source code implementations. The book contains a catalog of twenty advanced EJB patterns and provides strategies for mapping application requirements to patterns-driven design, J2EE development best practices, and a collection of EJB tips and strategies, and other topics such as Build-System best practices using Ant, JUnit testing strategies, using Java Data Objects (JDO) as an alternative to entity beans, and more. 

3. Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB
    You may still be using traditional approaches to J2EE that are overly complex and not truly object-oriented. Many of these problems relate to EJB: a complex technology that has not lived up to its hype. In this hands-on guide, I ll show you alternatives to EJB that can be used to create higher quality applications faster and at lower cost. I ll demonstrate how to leverage practical techniques and tools, including the popular open source Spring Framework and Hibernate. I ll guide you through productive solutions to core problems such as transaction management, persistence, remoting, and web tier design. We will examine how these alternatives affect testing, performance, and scalability, and discover how lightweight architectures can slash time and effort on many projects. I ve been working with servlets, EJB, JSPandtrade;, and other J2EE technologies since their release. (As co-lead of Spring, Juergen also brings a wealth of expertise.) I m excited to share my experience with you, one-on-one.

4. Developing EJB 2.0 Components
    The enterprise Java universe-spanning at least 15 Java APIs and at least twice that many protocols and technologies-is tremendously complex and can appear completely impenetrable to a newcomer. Even if you're competent in Java programming, and even if you know what n-tier programming is all about conceptually, the sheer magnitude of making a Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application work is intimidating. Pravin Tulachan aims to-and by and large succeeds--untangle the alphabet soup of APIs and show you how to write working J2EE software. He commits none of the popular sins of J2EE books (he neither tries to teach basic Java, neglects the design issues that are critical to J2EE projects, nor glosses too much over deployment). This is a solid book, worth the time of experienced Java hands who want to take the leap into distributed architecture and programming. Tulachan likes to intermix his code with his prose. He typically explains the need for some procedure to happen next in his design, and then proceeds to show the actual code that does the job. His treatment of the Java Naming and Directory Interface (JNDI) is typical.

5. The EJB 2.0 Entity Model
    The fundamentals of EJB development, including session beans, entity beans (BMP and CMP), and message-driven beans EJB services such as resource management, transactions, and security Designing EJB applications using patterns, strategies, and UML Improving EJB design through testing and performance Integrating EJBs with J2EE, COM, and CORBA Deployment instructions for leading application servers. Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) are a container-based component architecture that allow you to easily create secure, scalable and transactional enterprise applications. Developed as session beans, entity beans, or message-driven beans, EJBs are the critical business objects in any J2EE application. Professional EJB shows how to develop and deploy EJB applications using both the 1.1 and the new 2.0 specification. The addition of container-provided services, such as container-managed persistence, and security and transaction management, are covered in detail. 

6. JBuilder 7.0 EJB Programming
    JBuilderTM 7.0 EJB Programming guides the experienced Java programmer through the advanced Java techniques available in JBuilder 7.0, the premier Java programming tool. The book focuses on the development of JavaBeans and Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) and how to develop them more efficiently using JBuilder 7.0. Beginning with an introduction to beans, the author discusses persistence, remote calls, stateless and stateful session beans, and integrating Java and database programming. There is specific emphasis on advanced features, including exception handling, security, and the use of CORBA in distributed Java applications. 

7. Manning Publication of EJB Books
    The only published source for the wxPython toolkit, co-authored by the toolkit?s developer Robin Dunn. It shows readers why wxPython is a better interface tool than Tkinter, the tool that is distributed with Python. The authoritative guide to IntelliJ IDEA-it shows you how to use this sophisticated IDE's powerful development features to their fullest advantage. It eases in the beginners, and wows the experts. Avoiding EJB bashing, this book calmly teaches the thinking needed to pick the right technologies and productively develop applications with the lightweight frameworks such as Hibernate, Spring, JDO, iBatis-and EJB 3. It discusses the patterns of good lightweight design.

8. Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans, Second Edition
    The much-anticipated second Edition of one of the most influential EJB books in the industry. Get ready to jump-start your Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) development! Renowned EJB authority Ed Roman and his expert team have taken the bestselling first edition of this book and updated it to cover EJB 2.0. The new edition covers the basics of EJB, plus tougher advanced concepts, showing you both the good and bad in building real-world EJB applications. You?ll learn about such exciting topics as EJB design strategies, EJB relationships, and persistence best practices. And all you need to know to get started with this book is Java! There are also tutorials on RMI-IIOP and JNDI.

9. EJB Security
    Resin-CMP manages tables in a relational database using a Java bean interface. Each database table corresponds to a single "entity bean". (Since Resin-CMP uses the EJB specification, most of its jargon comes from EJB.) By creating an entity bean with container managed persistence, you let Resin-CMP generate the SQL to load, store, and cache entity beans from the database. Avoiding SQL is an advantage in itself, but the primary advantage is the increased flexiblity of your application code. Maintenance and code-refactoring can focus on the beans instead of changing lots of SQL statements in the program.

10. Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB 
    This is a big and heavy book, but it needs to be to cover the scope of servlets, JSP and EJB in a practical and detailled way, It includes a lot of real code listings for practical projects. The downside with wide-scope books is that sometimes individual areas get less attention than they might in a more specific book. To some degree that's true for the EJB material in this book. What the book covers well is getting all the various server-side Java APIS to work together. The coverage of Servlets and Java Server Pages and all the associated technologies that go with them ( Tag Libraries, Javascript, caching, authentication etc etc ) are clear, concise and very easy to follow.

11. Manning Bitter EJB
    In Bitter EJB, Bruce Tate and his co-authors continue the entertaining and engaging writing style of relating true-life adventure sport experiences to antipattern themes established in Bruce's first book, the best selling Bitter Java. This more advanced book explores antipatterns, or common traps, within the context of EJB technology. EJB is experiencing the mixture of practical success and controversy that accompanies a new and quickly-changing framework. Bitter EJB takes the swirling EJB controversies head-on. It offers a practical approach to design: how to become a better programmer by studying problems and solutions to the most important problems surrounding the technology.

12. J2EE Without EJB
    Overall, the chapter was extremely good, it confirmed in writing all my arguments against EJB. To top it all off and to my surprise, the authors quote my "Post-EJB" blog entry back in 2002. It's a weird feeling when you read yourself in a book that you didn't write. Well that surely made my day, it makes me appear like a visionary, when in true reality the technology was a plain disaster to begin with. But the authors seem to forget to cite the "101 EJB Damnations Piece" also back in 2002. Maybe they felt that a more concise statement bests out a long list of arguments. What amazes me really is how quick this book was written. I mean it is over 500 pages. I'm writing a book right now and I'm already struggling to get it over 200 pages. One thing I noticed was how the authors use URLs instead of references to a bibliography.