I think you should be earning more money at this point of your career. Why isn?t it happening?

Beware of giving a defensive answer that suggests that money is not very important to you- the company might use it as a trap while negotiating your salary. However your answer should explain why you are earning something below the industry standards.

I think you should be earning more money at this point of your career. Why isn?t it happening?

I think you should be earning more money at this point of your career. Why isn’t it happening?

Beware of giving a defensive answer that suggests that money is not very important to you- the company might use it as a trap while negotiating your salary. However your answer should explain why you are earning something below the industry standards.

Your answer should state that you do like to make money, but there are also other factors that are important to you. It could go like this: “Money is of course important to me, and that is one of the reasons I am here. But it has also been important for me to do work that I like to do and be with a company that I respect and like”

As the next step you will have to specify what your ideal work and company are like. Bring your description as close as possible to the opportunity you are exploring at the moment.

27. Who has been a major source of inspiration to you and why?

This is a fairly straightforward question- two things that could mar the situation are being preparedness and being irrelevant. It should not take too much of time searching for an answer- it suggests that you have had no role models. If you speak about a football coach you worked with in high school, you are missing out on a chance to talk about qualities and values relevant to the company.

It is pretty easy to prepare for this question. Be ready to talk about a few heroes from your industry, history or someone who has personally led you in your career. Again be specific about their words, deeds achievements and teachings. Be clear on how these have inspired your own achievements. Your answer should be as close as possible to the qualities that are important for the position at hand.

28. What has been the toughest decision you have had to make so far?

This is yet another question you could spoil by being unprepared or irrelevant. Be ready with a sound story. Explain why it was a difficult decision and the thought process you followed in reaching the decision. Also demonstrate the courage and determination you showed in implementing the decision and what benefits it yielded.

29. What has been the most boring job you have ever held?

Many of us would jump at such an opportunity to pour out our woes in graphic details. But think of the result- it can have only one consequence. The interviewer associates you with this image of a bored person.

Never admit to being bored in any of your jobs. You have never allowed such a situation to arise in the first place and you cannot even understand why or how others let it happen in their careers.

E.g. “It might have been plain luck, but I have never been bored with any of the work I have done so far. I have always enjoyed what I did. I feel it is somewhat like drama or movie scripts- no part or role can be too small- every bit is important to the whole. Similarly every company, department and job has very exciting challenges and problems- every one of them has opportunities for energy, enthusiasm and adventure. If someone is bored, it is probably because they are not being alive and alert to those opportunities…”

30. Have you been away from work more than a few days in any of your previous jobs?

If this has been the case, it doesn’t make sense to try to hide it. It is easy to find out. But admitting to such a problem can raise issues.

If you haven’t had any attendance problem, congratulations! You can take the opportunity to stress on your consistent attendance record throughout your career. Proceed to state how important you take such regular attendance is for performance. There is no substitute to being there on the spot to keep the work running smoothly, tackle problems and answer questions as they arise.

If you have a problem with your attendance record, your answer should minimize the problematic nature. It should be clear that it was caused by an exceptional circumstance and that the problem has been rectified.

Your answer here is the same as above. But start it somewhat like this: “Other than being away for about eight months the year before last (or whenever), because of (state the reason in a concise way- it should also be clear that the reason is now in the past), I have always had an excellent track record of attendance throughout my career. I do believe that being consistent with attendance is very important because…” (The remaining part of the answer is the same as described above)