Open Source Hardware

GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

Open Source Hardware

Open Source Image

1. GNU Image Manipulation Program
    GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages. This is the official GIMP web site. It contains information about downloading, installing, using, and enhancing it. This site also serves as a distribution point for the latest releases. We try to provide as much information about the GIMP community and related projects as possible. Hopefully you will find what you need here. Grab a properly chilled beverage and enjoy.

2. Open Source Image Analysis Environment
    TINA Is No Acronym (TINA ) is an open source environment developed to accelerate the process of image analysis research. TINA provides functionality to assist in all areas of image analysis including handling of image, image feature and geometrical data; statistical and numerical analysis of data; GUI development as well as transmission and containment of data. TINA also provides a range of high-level analysis techniques for both machine vision (3D object location, 2D object recognition, temporal-stereo depth estimation, etc) and medical image analysis .  TINA core library development is currently funded by the EU as part of the IST programme under the Free Software: Towards Critical Mass call.

3. Introduction to ImageMagick
    ImageMagick®, version 6.2.8, is a software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images. It can read, convert and write images in a large variety of formats. Images can be cropped, colors can be changed, various effects can be applied, images can be rotated and combined, and text, lines, polygons, ellipses and Bézier curves can be added to images and stretched and rotated. ImageMagick is free software delivered with full source code and can be freely used, copied, modified and distributed. Its license is compatible with the GPL. It runs on all major operating systems. Most of the functionality of ImageMagick can be used interactively from the command line; more often, however, the features are used from programs written in the programming languages C, Ch, C++, Java, Lisp, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Tcl/Tk, for which ready-made ImageMagick interfaces (MagickCore, MagickWand, PerlMagick, Magick++, PythonMagick, MagickWand for PHP, RMagick, TclMagick, L_Magick, and JMagick) are available.

4. Open Source Computer Vision Library
    This library is intended for use, incorporation and modification by researchers, commercial software developers, government and camera vendors as reflected in the license.  Aid commercial uses of computer vision in human-computer interface, robotics, monitoring, biometrics and security by providing a free and open infrastructure where the distributed efforts of the vision community can be consolidated and performance optimized. An online community organized around the Open Source Computer Vision Library has been created at yahoogroups.com for sharing information, bugs, opinions, questions and answers about the library. 

5. Open source image editor
    The Gimp isn't the only open source image editor in town. Seashore may be quite basic in its functionality, but it's pleasant to use and the source code is freely available. Seashore employs many of the tools you're familiar with, like the lasso, marquee tool, smudge, erase, position, paint and more. Plus, there are several brushes and textures to choose from. Export options include JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF and XCF (Gimp). Seashore also supports layers and alpha channel editing.

6. Free and Open Source Photography
    This is a repository of stock images focused primarily on the Palouse region of the Inland Northwest of America. Your are free to use and do what you want with these images. I apply the Creative Commons Licence to all this work. The only thing I request is appropriate attribution. 
    My primary focus is nature and landscape photography of the Palouse, the Clearwater River drainage and the northern portion of the Snake River drainage. This area covers South Eastern Washington, North Central Idaho and North Eastern Oregon.  If you use a photo please consider supporting this site by linking back and giving me attribution for my photos. Feel free to contact me at linux dot photo dot geek at gmail dot com and let me know how you used these images. 

7. g4u - Harddisk Image Cloning for PCs
    g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. The first is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server, the other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk. Network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processed as an image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also supported.

8. Open Source GIS Applications
    Open Source programs are applications of which you can access the source code. Listed here are available open source GIS-based applications you can download written for a variety of platforms and in various languages.  A free (GPLed) reader software for the EDBS format has been released: EDBS_extra 2.0. This open source utility is written in 'C'. The page is mostly in German.GeoTools is an open source, Java GIS toolkit for developing standards compliant solutions. It's modular architecture allows extra functionality to be easily incorporated. GeoTools aims to support OpenGIS and other relevant standards as they are developed.

9. Image Manipulation with Open-Source Image
    A recent post on Jason Sheedy's weblog asked about java image manipulation. In the comments, I stated that I recommended the Alagad Image Component if you could pay for the component. I also have discussed using tmt_i.mg, but while tmt_img is free and the source is viewable, it is not redistributable and therefore not true open-source. The other option I mentioned I had not yet used, and that was Rick Root's image.cfc which is licensed under the BSD Open Source, which does allow redistribution with minor conditions. Much of my tests were similar to the examples page, which serves as the primary documentation for image.cfc. However, opening and reading the methods in image.cfc doesn't require any specialized knowledge to understand for methods where documentation might be somewhat lacking at the moment.

10. Open source RFID's image problem
    The public image of RFID as a secretive tool of big business and government could improve if open source groups get involved in developing RFID standards, according to one UK charity.  Dr Humberto Moran, chief executive of Open Source Innovation, a software charity based in the UK, said that opponents of RFID would be reassured if the software and standards associated with RFID were created, where possible, under open licences. The OSI has been around for just over one year and is focused on "promoting the research, development and spreading of software with significant social impact". The group recently secured a significant grant from the government for the development of open source software for RFID. 

11. Open Source Image Denoising and Restoration
    One of the most common problems to resolve in digital photography is the removal of ISO noise without losing too much image details in return. Standard procedures like Gaussian blur or despeckle deliver rather unsatisfying results as the image either will become too soft or look too artificial. For this reason, there exist specific plugins that keep the balance between noise removal and preservation of image details. Unfortunately, most of them are of a proprietary nature and therefore restricted to Windows and MacOsX. But fortunately, there?s an efficient algorithm called GREYCstoration, which was created by David Tschumperlé, CNRS researcher in GREYC Lab?s image team, and is freely available as Open Source.

12. Open Source Digital Image Management Took
    It all started with a phone call. In September 2003, Kathy Nichols contacted me seeking suggestions, recommendations--really anything I could think of--that might help her seize control of a bewildering and rapidly surging torrent of digital image files. As the technical assistant tasked with organizing the Archives and Special Collections' photo collections at Western Illinois University (WIU) Libraries, Kathy had already contacted archives around the state and found that others were also struggling to stay afloat amid a stream of digital management issues.  The challenges that Kathy described interested me, and I felt they might be addressed by the creative application of open source technology. Having recently developed several database-driven Web applications in my new role as coordinator of information systems for the libraries, I suggested that, by using local resources and expertise, it might be possible to develop a digital image management system that could dramatically improve the situation.

13. OSDL launch new image initiative
    Faced with former Massachusetts CIO Peter Quinn's harsh appraisal of the real reason behind the "inertia" of Linux in the business world, Linus Torvalds and OSDL have come up with an action plan for rebranding the Linux image and the image of its core developers. They have jointly agreed on the formation of OSDSU, the world's first Open Source Dress for Success University. Torvalds himself will teach a course on "Introductory sandal wearing," placing particular emphasis on sock selection. "Color is so important," Torvalds notes. "You want both socks to share the same color base, and yet it needs to stand out from the pale flesh of a kernel hacker and show off the sandals to their best advantage."

14. Open Source Huygens Images Processing 
    While ESA takes its time to slowly release images, full collections of Huygens imagery have already been processed and refined well beyond anything ESA has done - see Amateur compositions of the Huygens images for one spectacular collection. This mosaic (R) shows the 'drainiage systems' at Huygens' landing site. This panorama - in simulated colors, shows the location where Huygens landed from the air. Then there is this animated GIF (1.6 mb) assembled from 98 surface shots. These individual frames are all still in need of some processing however, I cannot help but get the impression that something is flowing from the right to the left of the image - just past the larger ice rocks. Note: This may well be an optical illusion or artifact resulting from how these images were assembled.

15. Open-source image processing package
    X-windows based microscopy image processing package (Xmipp) is a specialized suit of image processing programs, primarily aimed at obtaining the 3D reconstruction of biological specimens from large sets of projection images acquired by transmission electron microscopy. This public-domain software package was introduced to the electron microscopy field eight years ago, and since then it has changed drastically. New methodologies for the analysis of single-particle projection images have been added to classification, contrast transfer function correction, angular assignment, 3D reconstruction, reconstruction of crystals, etc. In addition, the package has been extended with functionalities for 2D crystal and electron tomography data.