Also known as the Skinner's Church, the St. James Church of Delhi, was built in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner. The church is located at the intersection point of the Church Road and the Lothian Road in the Indian capital. This church is one of the oldest church of India and a part of the Church of the North India Diocese.
The church is facilitated by the presence of the bungalow of William Frazer, which is located just behind the church. The history of the Saint James church Delhi says that Colonel James vowed to build a church when he was lying on the battlefield if he survived. Designed by Major Robert Smith, the construction of this church started in 1826 and it took 10 years and approximately 95000 rupees for its completion.
Architectural style of the St. James church Delhi:
The Church is designed and erected in the Renaissance Style and has porches and porticoes, with elaborate stained glass windows and a central octagonal dome. The dome has a high degree of resemblance to the Florence Church of Italy. There was a copper ball and a cross which is said to be the replica of the Church at Venice. This has been damaged during the revolt of 1857 and has later been replaced.
Important features of the St. James church Delhi:
The main feature of the St. James Church Delhi is 'the two graves' ? one is of Colonel James Skinner himself, and the other is of the then Commissioner of Delhi, William Frazer. There exists a large memorial cross for the victims of 1857 revolt. At the rear end of the church is a tomb of Thomas Metclafe. He served as the agent to Governor General of India at that time. The northern side has the graves of the fourteen wives of Skinner and his many children.
Special interest to tourists and local visitors at St. James church Delhi:
The St. James Church is opened for tourist visits all round the year. There are morning and evening prayers which are held in the church which are of special interest. Located at a stone's throw distance from the major bus depots and metro station, the church is of special interest to tourists from all over the world who visit Delhi. In fact a lot of local people also visit the church irrespective of their religious faith.
The entire visit of the Church will take an approximate time of 40 to 50 minutes. Apart from the prayer timings, there are no strict prayer schedules of the Church and visitors can sit in the Church till the time they wish to.
The St. James Church is a one of the most beautiful work of architecture. It has attracted people from all over the world. This church is of prime importance to British as it was the Church the Viceroy of India visited until the Cathedral Church of Redemption was built near Gurudwara Rakab Ganjin 1931. The only other church of that era is the St. Stephen's Church at Fatehpur in Delhi. It was built in 1867.
Apart from the burials of the family of Skinner, there is a burial of a lady from London, who died in London but wanted her remains to be buried in the St. James Church.
St. James church is well decorated with lights and candles during the many Christian festivals that are organized. Special prayers are held on these occasions. Recently on the occasion of the 200 years of Skinner's Horse Regiment of Light Cavalry, great-great grand daughter of Colonel Skinner was present. The Church has maintained a dignity for itself in the Capital of India. It is one of the most visited Churches of the nation.
For booking Delhi one day travel package call us at +91 997140022 or email us at [email protected]