This section describes you about the Tomcat Server.
In this section we will read about the Tomcat Server. Here we will read the
various aspects of "Tomcat Server" such as what is tomcat server, components of
tomcat, features of tomcat and many more.
What is Tomcat Server?
Tomcat Server is a pure Java HTTP web server environment to run Java code.
Tomcat Server is an open source web server. Tomcat Server was initially known as
Jakarta Tomcat but, later it is known by Apache Tomcat or simply Tomcat. Apache
Software Foundation has developed the Tomcat. Tomcat is a Servlet container. It
applies the Sun Microsystems Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP)
specifications. Tomcat can be configured through the XML configuration file,
however, it has the tools for configuration and management.
Components Of Tomcat Server
Tomcat has the various components. These are as follows :
Below, the listed components of Tomcat are of before the Tomcat 7
- Catlina : It is a Servlet Container of Tomcat. It applies
the Sun Microsystems Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages specifications.
- Coyote : Coyote provides the support to web server or
application server of the HTTP 1.1 protocol. It is also called the HTTP
connector component of Tomcat. Coyote is responsible for receiving the request
from client on specific TCP port on the server and send this request to the
Tomcat Engine for processing the request and then return the response to the
client which has made the request.
- Jasper : Jasper, a JSP engine of Tomcat that parses the JSP
file. The parsed JSP file is converted into the Java code as Servlet. If, any
changes made into the JSP file at runtime the Jasper notices that change and
In the Tomcat 7, three new components are added into it. These are as follows
- Cluster : This new component support Tomcat to manage the
large applications. It uses many techniques for balancing the load. Currently,
Cluster is compatible with JDK version 1.5 or later.
- High Availability : The component high availability helps
tomcat in scheduling of system upgrade. While the system is upgrading the live
environment isn't affected.
- Web Application : This component is added for providing the
deployment support over the variety of environments.
Releases of Tomcat
Apache Software Foundation makes the changes into the Tomcat for various
reasons such as, if there is a bug found in any version, for making tomcat more
Tomcat version 7.0.0 is the first release of Apache Tomcat that provided the
support of following specifications :
- Servlet 3.0
- JSP 2.2
- EL 2.2
The latest stable version of Tomcat at the time of writing this tutorial is
7.0.42. Below is the list of earlier releases of Tomcat's major versions :
- 7.0.41 : This version of Tomcat is released in June 2013.
- 7.0.40 : This version of Tomcat is released in May 2013.
- 7.0.6 : This version of Tomcat was released in January
- 7.0.0 beta : This version of Tomcat was released in June
- 6.0.37 : This is a latest version of Tomcat 6 and is
released in May 2013.
- 6.0.0 : This version of Tomcat was released in December
- 5.5.36 : This version of Tomcat was released in October
- 5.5.0 : This version of Tomcat was released in August 2004.
- 5.0.30 : This version of Tomcat was released in August
- 5.0.0 : This version of Tomcat was released in October
- 4.1.40 : This version of Tomcat was released in June 2009.
- 4.1.31 : This version of Tomcat was released in October
- 3.3.2 : This version of Tomcat was released in March 2004
- 3.0.X : This version of Tomcat was released in 1999