Open Source Software to be used in the enterprise environment.
Open Source Software
In this section we are discussing Open source software that can be used in
organization to reduce the operational cost. There are many Open source software
available on the internet that can be used in the company. Open source software
is very useful because source code also distributed along with the executable of
the application. Anyone can modify the source code as per their needs, compile
and use the application.
Open source software is also know as OSS. Simply open source means the
availability of the Source code of the software. There are many benefits of
using Open source software, there are:
- Reliability - You have the source code with you know what is
the logic behind particular work. You can even modify it as per
- Stability - If you don't want to upgrade to the new version
of the software, you can still support your old version as you
have the source of the application you are using.
- Auditability - You even check the working of the software by
examining the source of the application.
- Cost - Yes the cost of the Open source software is very
less, in most of the cases if you are capable you can download
install and used the software without any cost. You don't have
to pay the licensing fee to anyone.
- Flexibility and Freedom - You can choose the solution as per
your business need.
- Support and Accountability - Many companies are providing
commercial support for open source software. You even set your
team to support and upgrade the software.
List of Open source softwares: