Here we go! Finally a new version of INSERT emerges from the depths of the build machine. The size has grown to near 60MB, since our supplier of credit-card sized CDs promised me to be able to squeeze 60MB on the thing; the Linux kernel was updated to 188.8.131.52; Captive was updated to 1.1.7 and can now use the Windows XP driver files from SP2; the native NTFS driver and tools have write support; a custom build of the latest version of the great graphical partitioning GUI GParted was added; Reiser4 is supported.
About the INSERT
INSERT (the Inside Security Rescue Toolkit) aims to be a multi-functional, multi-purpose disaster recovery and network analysis system. It runs from a credit card-sized CD-ROM for convenient transport or download and is basically a stripped-down version of Knoppix. INSERT provides full read-write support for NTFS-partitions using captive-ntfs.
INSERT is a complete, bootable linux system. It comes with a graphical user interface running the fluxbox window manager while still being sufficiently small to fit on a credit card-sized CD-ROM.
INSERT contains a multitude of useful tools to be at your hand in a variety of situations:
1. full read-write support for NTFS-partitions using captive and linux-ntfs
2. support for various file system types:
3. locally: EXT2,EXT3,REISERFS,REISER4,JFS,XFS,NTFS,FAT,MSDOS,MINIX,UDF,HFS,HFS+,HPFS,UFS,UNIONFS
4. net based: NFS,SMBFS,CIFS,NCPFS,SSHFS,AFS
5. support for linux software RAID and LVM2
6. support for WLAN adapters
7. network analysis (e.g. nmap, tcpdump)
8. disaster recovery (e.g. gparted, gpart, partimage, testdisk, recover)
9. virus scanning (Clam Antivirus with GUI avscan)
10.computer forensics (e.g. chkrootkit, foremost, rootkit hunter)
11.surf the internet (e.g. the web browser dillo [enhanced version], the graphical FTP client gFTP)
12.network boot server to boot network boot enabled clients that cannot boot from the CD (insert-remote)
13.installation on a USB memory stick (usb-install)
14.based on Linux kernel 184.108.40.206 and Knoppix 4.0.2
To Download INSERT
Recommend the tutorial