A new development snapshot of the soon-to-be Ark Linux 2006.1 is ready for testing. This release differs from Ark Linux 2005.2 mostly in the underlying technology (such as upgrades to X.Org 7.0, KDE 3.5.1, glibc 2.3.90 and GCC 4.1-svn), numerous bug fixes, and improved hardware support (most notably, many ATI PCI Express cards now support 3D acceleration out of the box. The snapshot can be found in the dockyard-devel/iso directory of your favorite Ark Linux mirror. Please give it some testing and report bugs before we call it 2006.1.
Ark Linux is a Linux distribution designed especially for desktop use, primarily for people without prior Linux experience. Its main goal is ease of use, and the inclusion of many tools end users will need. Ark Linux is fully Open Source and Free Software, meaning, basically, you can freely redistribute it in both modified and unmodified form.
The main goals of Ark Linux are
1. Being easy to learn and use
2. Including all tools and applications the typical desktop user will need
3. Including only tools and applications the typical desktop user will need - avoid becoming "bloated"
4. Making installation of additional software as easy and fast as possible
5. Being a technically sane development environment
For Download Arklinux
1. Ark Linux 2005.2
2. Ark Extra Software 2005.2
3. Ark Development Suite 2005.2
4. Ark Server Software 2005.2
5. Ark Extra Languages 2005.2
6. Ark Linux 2005.1 SR 1 (previous, obsolete version)
7. Ark Extra Software 2005.1 SR 1 (previous, obsolete version)
8. Ark Development Suite 2005.1 SR 1 (previous, obsolete version)
9. Ark Server Software 2005.1 SR 1 (previous, obsolete version)
10. Ark Extra Languages 2005.1 SR 1 (previous, obsolete version)
If you are a developer, you may be interested in Dockyard and Dockyard-devel, our current development trees. Dockyard-devel is the realtime state of the Ark Linux development tree; therefore it is not guaranteed to work. Nevertheless, we are interested in any bug reports you may have; dockyard is a version of dockyard-devel that has had a bit of testing and will probably not break your system.
Recommend the tutorial
Ask Questions? Discuss: Ark Linux 2006.1 Snapshot has been released
Post your Comment