Linux Distribution: Linux Mint
This release is based on Ubuntu 6.10 and uses the Ubuntu installer. The desktop is GNOME 2.16.1 and the kernel is 2.6.17. Barbara comes with the following plugins: Macromedia Flash 9 beta, Sun Java 1.5 Update 9, RealPlayer 10. Support for MP3, Windows and
|Linux Release Details:
|Linux Mint 4.0 Beta 1 "Xfce" is available
|This is the first beta release of Linux Mint 4.0 Xfce CE, code name Daryna, based on Celena Xfce CE and compatible with Ubuntu Gutsy and its repositories. Daryna is using Gutsy's package base (kernel 2.6.22, Xfce 4.4.1, OpenOffice.org 2.3, Thunderbird 2.0, Sunbird 0.7, etc). What's new in Daryna? With mintUpdate you can now get automatic updates without compromising the stability of your system. A new frontend to mintInstall now allows you to search the portal directly from your desktop. mintDesktop got major improvements in terms of usability and now has an extra feature which lets you restore the default artwork coming with Linux Mint. Compiz Fusion.
|What's new in Daryna
With mintUpdate you can now get automatic updates without compromising the stability of your system. Updates are assigned a security level which indicates how safe they are for you to apply. MintUpdate also brings you more information about the updates and the risks involved in applying them.
MintUpdate is also highly configurable and you decide which levels you want to see and which you want selected by default.
The implementation of mintUpdate in Daryna follows the decision to remove the Ubuntu Update Manager in Celena because it didn't give enough information about updates and assumed all updates were without risk for the user's system.
2. mintInstall & the Software Portal
MintInstall and the Software Portal were already available in Cassandra and Celena. Even though they were better alternatives than Click'n'Run, APTURL, PBIDir or the new SUSE initiative they failed to be noticed both by the press and by our own community. We asked ourselves why and came to the conclusion that there presence had not been made obvious enough. In Daryna, you can now interact with mintInstall without starting from the Portal. A link was added directly in the menu:
And a new frontend to mintInstall now allows you to search the portal directly from your desktop.
mintInstall itself was also made more intuitive and improvements were made to its interface. In the backend, mintInstall now also relies on Synaptic and brings improvements on how it handles downloads/installations of packages and hotplugging of repositories.
3. mintDesktop improvements
mintDesktop got major improvements in terms of usability and now has an extra-feature which lets you restore the default artwork coming with Linux Mint for OpenOffice, Gimp and Exaile. Also Lets you Enable/Disable Compiz Fusion and Mplayer Video Thumbnails.
4. Compiz Fusion
Credits go to Xorg, Compiz Fusion and Ubuntu here for bringing us the best 3D effects available and installed by default in Daryna XFCE CE. We know how much you like these technologies so we also included the Compiz Fusion Setting Manager.
Note: The Restricted Manager was improved and should be able to bring 3D support to all nVidia cards. Envy is installed by default and includes the new ATI drivers released by AMD.
5. Upstream improvements
1. Improvements made in Linux Mint 3.1 Celena XFCE CE
2. Upstream improvements in XFCE 4.4.1: http://www.xfce.org/about/tour
3. Upstream improvements in Xubuntu 7.10: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Xubuntu
4. Upstream improvements in the Linux kernel 2.6.22: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_22
What makes Daryna ideal for the desktop?
1. Out of the box multimedia support
2. Microsoft Windows Integration (Dual-boot, NTFS read/write support, Migration Assistant)
3. One-Click install system (Linux Mint Software Portal, mintInstall)
4. Easy file-sharing (mintUpload)
5. 3D Effects
6. Great configuration tools
7. Great selection of default applications (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp, Pidgin, XChat, Exaile, Sunbird..etc)
8. Solid package base (Google Earth, Picasa, Skype.. a lot of important software present in the repositories or in the Linux Mint Software Portal, compatibility with all Ubuntu Gutsy repositories and most Debian packages).
Click here to download: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
|Back to Linux Mint
|Back to Linux Distribution Directory