Linux Distribution: SUSE
overviewFor rich, reliable and secure home computing, there's no better choice than SUSE LINUX Professional 9.3. It features an easy-to-install Linux operating system that lets you browse the Web, send e-mail, chat with friends, organize digital pho
|Linux Release Details:
|openSUSE 11.1 Beta 4 has been released
|This release includes a number of important bugfixes since the last beta, as well as a few new bugs that need to be squashed before the final release. Read on for details about this release and how to get involved with testing.
|Major changes in this release include:
Inclusion of Nomad, a set of components that provide an unmatchable remote desktop experience to openSUSE.
Timo Hoenig reports that fingerprint reader support is now feature complete, and he?s accepting bugs. The most common fingerprint readers on the market should ?just work,? and users can register their fingerprint using the YaST module. Once registered, users can log in using their fingerprint. Console, GDM, ?su - $USER?, gnome-screensaver, and gnomsu should all work with fingerprint support.
KDE status is unknown.
- Linux 126.96.36.199 kernel
- Mono 2.0.1
- GNOME 2.24.1
- VirtualBox 2.0.4
- Evolution 2.24.1
- Banshee 1.3.3
Webcam Support Re-enabled
Some Webcam and framegrabber drivers had been removed from the kernel, but are now re-enabled in beta 4. The list of supported drivers includes:
- Mediavision Pro Movie Studio
- Quickcam BW
- QuickCam Colour
- W9966CF Webcam (FlyCam Supra and others)
- Stradis 4:2:2 MPEG-2
- Zoran ZR36057/36067
- Sony Vaio Picturebook Motion Eye
- Siemens-Nixdorf ?Multimedia eXtension Board?
- Conexant cx23416/cx23415 MPEG encoder/decoder (aka ivtv)
- USB 3com HomeConnect (aka vicam)
- USB IBM (Xirlink) C-it Camera
- USB Konica Webcam
- USB Logitech Quickcam Messenger
- OmniVision Camera Chip
- USB W996CF JPEG Dual Mode Camera
- USB OV511 Camera
- USB SE401 Camera
- USB STV680 (Pencam) Camera
- USB Philips Cameras
- ForteMedia FM801 + TEA5757 tunerThanks to Jean Delvare for the report.
Most Annoying Bugs
The list of annoying bugs is getting smaller! Still, a few things that we need to mention:
- Bug #440816: OpenOffice.org 3.0 cannot be started
- GNOME branding is broken with DVD installs, looks correct on live cds
- GNOME updater will ask for registration, this is broken. Just ignore the question
- KDE updater will not ask for smolt integration (which the GNOME updater should ask for too).
Click here to download: http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version
|Back to SUSE
|Back to Linux Distribution Directory
Send your comments, Suggestions or
Queries regarding this site at email@example.com.
Copyright © 2004. All rights