In this section, you will learn about Java SE 7 added new features.
Java SE 7
Java SE was released on 28 July 2011. Its code name is Dolphin. It
was first launched on 7 July 2011 but made available to general public on 28
July 2011. During development period, 13 milestone was achieved.
Following is the list of new features added to the Java 7 :
- Java Virtual Support for dynamic languages
- Java HotSpot Virtual Machine Performance Enhancements
- Changes in Java Programming Languages :
- Concurrency Utilities
- Two new packages, java.nio.file and java.nio.file.attribute
, are added to improve platform independence and add support for
metadata and symbolic links.
- XRender-Based Rendering Pipeline for Java2D
- Security enhancement : Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC),
CertPath Algorithm Disabling etc
- Swing Enhancements : JLayer Class, Nimbus Look & Feel, ease in
mixing Heavyweight and Lightweight components, Shaped and Translucent
Windows, HSL Color Selection in JColorChooser Class.
- Networking Enhancements : Enhanced support for new network
protocol like SCTP and Sockets Direct Protocol , addition
of URLClassLoader.close method.
- XML Enhancements : inclusion of JAXP, also support JAXB, JAX-WS
- Internationalization Enhancements : supports Unicode
6.0.0 , Support for ISO 4217 Currency Codes, Locale Class Supports BCP47 and
UTR35, Unicode 6.0 Support in Regular Expressions API etc.
- Enhancement of Rich Internet Applications (RIA) : Requesting
and Customizing Applet Decoration in Dragg able Applets, Embedding JNLP File
in Applet Tag, Deploying without Codebase, Handling Applet Initialization
Status with Event Handlers