Java provides the Collections Framework.
In the Collection Framework, a collection represents the group of the
objects. And a collection framework is the unified architecture that
represent and manipulate collections. The collection framework provides a
standard common programming interface to many of the most common abstraction
without burdening the programmer with many procedures and interfaces. It
provides a system for organizing and handling collections. This framework is
- Interfaces that categorize common collection types.
- Classes which proves implementations of the
- Algorithms which proves data and behaviors need when
using collections i.e. search, sort, iterate etc.
Following is the hierarchical representation for the
relationship of all four interfaces of the collection framework which
illustrates the whole implementation of the framework.
During the designing of a software (application) it
need to be remember the following relationship of the four basic interfaces of
the framework are as follows:
- The Collection interface which is the collection of
objects. That permits the duplication of the value or objects.
- Set is the interface of the collections framework
which extends the Collection but forbids duplicates.
- An another interface is the List which also extends
the Collection. It allows the duplicates objects on different position
because it introduces the positional indexing.
- And Map is also a interface of the collection
framework which extends neither Set nor Collection.
Some interfaces and classes of the collection
framework are as follows:
Every interfaces and classes are explained next in the roseidia.net
java tutorial one by one in the various examples.
Advantage of the Collections Framework:
The collections framework offers developers the
- It increases the readability of your collections by
providing a standard set of interfaces which has to be used by many
programmers in different applications.
- It makes your code more flexible. You can make the
code flexible by using many interfaces and classes of the collection
- It offers many specific implementations of the
interfaces. It allows you to choose the collection that is most fitting and
which offers the highest performance for your purposes.
Interfaces of the collections framework are very
easy to use. These interfaces can be transparently substituted to increase the
developed application performance.