How to run a Java program in CMD
The article describes How to run a Java program in Command Prompt(CMD) using Notepad. Here you will also find tips to set the Java Class Path.
There are multiple ways to write and run Java programs. In this article we
discussed how to write and run Java program in CMD.
Tips to run Java program in command prompt.
- Create a myproject folder in C folder
- Open a notepad or any other editor and write a small program
in Java as given below.
public class HelloWorld
public static void main(String args)
- Save the program file as 'HelloWorld.java' in your C:\myproject
folder and cross check the file name it must be
saved as 'HelloWorld.java'.
- In windows go to the Start Menu and open the command prompt.
- Change the directory from c to C:\myproject. To change the directory
type the given command in your command prompt.
Cd \myproject and press enter. It will change the folder.
- Run the dir command to check if the 'HelloWorld.java' exist or not.
- Make sure that your Java Path is set. If not then you can set it by
running following command at your command prompt.
set path=%path%;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin
- Now time to compile your program. Write the following command to your
command prompt and press enter.
Cd \myproject> javac HelloWorld.java it should compile the
- Now time to execute the program. Run the given command.
C:\myproject> java HelloWorld
This will run the Java interpreter and You will see the program output as