The Cloudscape Workbench is a tool for connecting to Derby and DB2 databases, and performing common tasks such as browsing schemas, altering database objects, and working with SQL scripts and table data.
IBM Cloudscape Workbench
The Cloudscape Workbench is a tool for connecting to
Derby and DB2 databases, and performing common tasks such as browsing schemas,
altering database objects, and working with SQL scripts and table data. This
tool also enables easy migration from a Derby database to a DB2 database. The
Cloudscape Workbench is powered by Eclipse technology, and is available both
as a stand-alone application (for Windows and Linux) and as a set of Eclipse
plug-ins. Eclipse is an award-winning, open source platform for the
construction of powerful software development tools and rich desktop
With the Cloudscape Workbench, you can:
- Connect simultaneously to Derby and DB2 databases.
- Browse the database schemas in a hierarchical view.
- Create new database objects using SQL templates.
- Alter existing objects by editing their DDL (Data
- Drop objects.
- Generate DDL scripts for all or part of a database.
- Edit SQL scripts with a dedicated editor featuring
syntax highlighting and content assist.
- Extract and Load data from tables to local files.
- View and edit the data stored in tables.
- Migrate Derby databases to DB2.
The Cloudscape Workbench allows you to connect to the
- Derby 10.1, using the embedded driver, the Derby
Client, or the DB2 Universal driver
- Derby 10.0, using the embedded driver or the DB2
- DB2 UDB 8.1 and 8.2 for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows®,
using the DB2 Universal driver
Download and install
The tool is available in two different forms:
- IBM Cloudscape Workbench: a stand-alone application
for Windows and Linux, based on Eclipse technology.
- IBM Cloudscape Workbench Plug-ins: A set of plug-ins
that you can install and use with other Eclipse 3.1 based offerings.
The two versions of the tool require a Java Runtime
Environment (JRE) version 1.4 or higher:
- IBM JRE version 1.4.x or higher
- Sun JRE version 1.4.x or higher
IBM Cloudscape Workbench does not include the Derby
database. If you do not already have a Derby database on your system, install
one of the following:
- Apache Derby V10.1
- IBM Cloudscape V10.1 (includes the DB2 Universal
Cloudscape Workbench (stand-alone version)
Download the IBM
Cloudscape Workbench (for Windows or Linux), and unzip the file in the
directory of your choice.
To start the Cloudscape Workbench, execute
csworkbench.exe (on Windows) or csworkbench (on Linux).
Cloudscape Workbench Plug-ins (plug-ins version)
The IBM Cloudscape Workbench Plug-ins require an
Eclipse 3.1 platform with the Web Tools Platform (WTP) plug-ins. (The Cloudscape
Workbench Plug-ins do not work with Eclipse 3.2) You can either:
- Download and install the various components
yourself. This can be a long process because WTP itself depends on many
- Download and install WTP-All in one, which is an
Eclipse 3.1 platform, preconfigured with all the components you need. For
more information, see the Resources
Once your Eclipse platform is installed, download the IBM
Cloudscape Workbench Plug-ins, and unzip the plugins directory in the
top-level folder of your Eclipse platform.
For more information: