When you look back on the position you held last, do you think you have done your best in it?

If you say that you did, it could mean that your best is already behind you. If you say ?no?, the interviewer takes it to mean that you don?t give your all to the work at hand. You should therefore indicate that you always put in your best efforts. Also

When you look back on the position you held last, do you think you have done your best in it?

If you say that you did, it could mean that your best is already behind you. If you say ‘no’, the interviewer takes it to mean that you don’t give your all to the work at hand. You should therefore indicate that you always put in your best efforts. Also show that this time of your career (it includes both your previous work and the current moment) is your peak phase for several reasons. Support your statement with instances and reasons from recent developments in your career.

62. Give me a reason why I should hire you when I have the possibility of promoting someone from within this company?

This question is pretty aggressively worded. However what it shows is the interviewer’s dilemma rather than any aggressive bend. In other words, the interviewer is probably inclined towards you, but needs reassurance from you. Therefore give an answer that helps him see the qualifications and qualities that only you can bring.

E.g. “Whenever possible, it is good to hire and promote from within the company- you generally look for people outside when the reasons for hiring from within are not strong enough. You will want the best candidate for the department. I think I should make a good choice... (follow with your strongest qualifications that also make the ideal candidate for the company)

63. You must have researched this company before coming for the interview. Can you tell me some negative aspects you have come across?

The interviewer is obviously fishing for what the industry talks about their company- don’t fall for the bait. You don’t want to deliver any bad news and spoil any chances. Remember to be positive. Instead of bringing up anything unflattering you might have heard, go for a not so important area the company itself admits to needing improvement. And this too only if the interviewer presses for it- otherwise you will do just fine to say that you don’t recall anything negative about the company.

64. How would you rate me as an interviewer on a scale of 1 to 10?

Giving a perfect 10 makes you sound too eager to please, for obvious reasons. If you give a mark less than 10, the interviewer will press for the defects you found in him, and this drags you into an uncomfortable situation. You will appear critical and certainly lose goodwill.

Avoid anything that sounds negative and go for a positive evaluation, but do give the miss to the 1-10 rating. Recall what style the interviewer has followed and pay a sincere compliment based on that.

For example if the interviewer has taken a tough stance, say something like “You have gone about the interview in a very thorough manner and been tough minded. I believe these are very essential for finding the right candidate.”

If the interviewer has been systematic, say “Your approach is very systematic and analytical. I am positive that this must have helped you hire excellent people for the company”

In other words, base your compliment on what you have seen and this way you sound sincere and believable to the interviewer. Everybody wins.

Summing Up

In the last pages, you saw some of the toughest questions asked in interviews across the board. These questions are intended to unravel aspects of your personality, value system and attitude. In order to be able to respond to these questions in the right way, you need to do more than learn the responses by heart. It won’t work as you need to modify your answers to match your specific situation. Further, these questions might take other forms and other words. Go through the answers here, do the required research and most important of all assimilate the right attitude shown here, and you are sure to come out with flying colors. Here’s wishing you the very best of luck in your job search.