Midlife Women, What They Really Want
Over 40 million women are entering the second half of their lives and what they really want is not what many people think. It?s not about the gray hair, a few wrinkles or even hitting the big 5-0.
The recent story in Time Magazine (5/9/05) has hopefully opened eyes to what midlife and older women really want. So often, society looks at midlife as just being that ? midlife, menopause, empty nest, gray hair and wrinkles. Yet, to women it?s so much more.
We have been asking women about their views and stories regarding positive and successful aging experiences. Not only have they shared their wonderfully delightful stories, they have also revealed their hopes, expectations and goals for the second half of their lives.
These stories tell of women looking forward to this time of their life as a time of renewal, of exploring new areas of interest and of the ?freedom to be whole and who I really want to be?. Women speak of lessons learned, wisdom granted, and the ability to look ahead to accepting new challenges. Many of these women actually look forward to growing older and to the gifts that come with age.
What about you? What do you really want? This is not as easy of a question as it appears. Ask your self some questions and record your answers in your journal. Visit it often and see what presents itself to you.
Here are some questions to consider.
1. Name 3-5 things you have accomplished in your life. These are things you are most proud of. What are they?
2. Name your strengths. What are at least 5 positive qualities that you have? Any special talents or particular areas you are strong in?
3. What are the things that get you up every morning? What are you passions? What makes your toes tingle and your soul quicken?
4. What is really important to you? If you were at the end of your life, what would you need to have accomplished so that you have no regrets about anything?
5. With the above questions answered, action do you need to take so that the second half of your life is truly extraordinary?
Answering these questions will help you find your passions, priorities and your life?s purpose. It?s time to start living it.
About the Author: ©2005, OlderWiserWomen, LLC.
Barbara C. Phillips, Nurse Practitioner and founder of OlderWiserWomen(tm) inspires women to embrace the freedom, magic and wisdom of Successful Aging. Visit www.OlderWiserWomen.com for your copy of "Celebrating You: 50 Tips for Vibrant Living".