One Repair You Must Make
There are many brave buyers are willing to purchase a home that needs renovation or repair. But there's one problem that will most likely send them all screaming. As the seller, it's in your best interests to tackle this problem head-on before ever considering putting your home on the market. The problem is mold.
We're not talking about the normal mildew smell of a damp basement, although that will probably scare buyers, too, and should be remedied. We're talking about what is called toxic black mold, which sounds awfully scary, and it can be, especially to the highly allergic... or to your wallet.
There are many species of toxic black mold. All of them require a moist area to begin growth, such as a leaky pipe; and a fairly warm humid environment. Once they start, they can spread, causing poisoning symptoms in humans and destroying your home from the inside out. So how do you know if you've got mold?
Check your home for leaks. If you've got a damp basement, dripping pipes, or a leaky roof, these are the first places to start. If you live in an area with high humidity, you should always be on the lookout. Watch for things like cracked, peeling paint, which indicates moisture on the walls; warped wood; black growths in the bathroom; and obvious mold growth in basements or attics. If you're finding it, start checking inside your cabinets, behind your floor baseboards, and in basements, crawl spaces, and wall cavities.
If you've got mold, you have the choice of calling in a professional to see what kind it is. If anyone in the household is experiencing allergic reactions, headaches, dizziness, or other adverse effects, it may be worth checking out mold growth to track down and verify that it is the source of the problem. Regardless of what you've got, however, you will have to clean it up to put your home on the market. Buyers today are all too aware of this problem, and the first signs of it will probably send them all headed for the door.
So it's time for clean-up. Remove all mold-infested items from the home, sealed in plastic bags, and wash mold off the walls and floor. Wear an oxygen mask during the process; keep windows open, and try not to inhabit the home during this time. It's a big process. We're not going to lie to you. Do it once, do it right, and get it done, and it should not take you more than one or two days to restore your home to mold-free condition.
Keep it that way. Remove the moisture sources that caused the mold. Replace leaky pipes, waterproof basements, and place dehumidifiers in damp rooms. Whether you're doing it for your family or for the potential buyers, it is essential to ensure that the mold doesn't return. Trust us: It's necessary.
About the Author: Kirsten Hawkins is a real estate expert from Nashville, TN. Visit http://www.king-of-real-estate.com/ for more information on real estate, mortgages, and finding the house of your dream.