Maid Of Honor Duties
Being chosen as a maid of honor is a great privilege, but it also requires a large number of responsibilities in the wedding planning process. The maid of honor will likely be spending a great deal of time with the best man, since their duties are often the same and require them to work hand-in-hand in order for the wedding to be a success. Once you have dealt with the excitement of being part of the wedding party and of wearing a great dress, it's time to start planning immediately. Here is a list of common duties the maid of honor must fulfill:
1. It is the maid of honor's responsibility to shop with the bride and attend all dress fittings. The maid of honor may want to help the bridesmaids shop for their dresses as well.
2. The maid of honor will be required to help with wedding invitations, wedding favors, flower arrangements, centerpieces or anything else at the bride's request.
3. A large part of the maid of honor's duties requires her to throw the bridal shower and bachelorette parties. The maid of honor will be responsible for planning and hosting all of these parties. If the couple decides they want a stag and doe (as opposed to bachelor and bachelorette parties) the maid of honor and best man will work together to plan and host the event.
4. It's the maid of honor's duty to record the names of the guests at the bridal party as well as their gifts. It is also her job to send out thank you cards to all guests.
5. During the wedding ceremony, it's the maid of honor's responsibility to hold onto the groom's ring (the best man is required to hold onto the bride's ring).
6. It's the maid of honor's responsibility (as well as the best man's) to sign the wedding license as a witness.
7. Finally, it is tradition for the maid of honor and best man to dance together at the reception.
If you are a first-time maid of honor and need help planning there are many people who would be eager to help out starting with the bride's mom or the bridesmaids. There are also a number of Internet resources to assist you with bridal planning and ideas.
The maid of honor has many responsibilities, but it's important to remember that the bride would not have chosen you if she didn't think you were capable of fulfilling these obligations.
About the Author: Samantha Taylor spent several years working in the weddings industry as a wedding planner. When she isn't being a mom of two wonderful children, she works as a freelance writer for http://www.yourwedding101.com - a site that offers information about everything wedding related.