8 Ways Of Extending Your Helmet?s Existence
If you want your helmet to live a long riding life here are some care tips that you must follow:
1. Always consult the manufacturer?s directions on how to take care of the helmet so as to remove any qualms and to be certain.
2. Keep your helmet clean and dry. Usually, a mild solution composed of soap and water is used to clean the helmet. Dab cotton or soft cloth to the solution and wipe the same to the helmet in order to remove dirt, oil, soot, smoke and other unwanted elements. Avoid using petroleum-based cleaning fluids, especially if you are using a polycarbonate helmet. Strong chemical agents can lose the protective value of the helmet and may further decompose the same.
3. Replaced a scratched face shield. If your helmet gets scratched, especially when the scratch is so grave, do not further use it. It can be irritating to look through. It can even lead to the distortion of your vision and can trick your senses so as to result to collisions.
4. Do not store your helmet near exhaust fumes, cleaning fluids, gasoline or in a place where there is too much heat. Helmets can react chemically with these factors, giving them irreparable damages which are sometimes unnoticeable.
5. Do not hang your helmet on the sissy bar, turn signals or worst on the bike?s mirror. This can ruin the inner lining of the helmet. Also, avoid carrying spare helmets while riding. Even the bumps, jarring and knocks can damage the helmet. Extremely hot environment can distort or melt the inner liner. The outer shell may also have unnoticeable damage. The one you observe when a styrofoam cup is placed near excessive heat.
6. If you are planning to paint, decorate, experiment and apply decals to your helmet, consult first the manual because there are helmet compositions, especially those having thermoplastic or polycarbonate compositions that can be unfavorably affected by paint or decals.
7. If you plan to use radio or intercom, select a model that does not need drilling in its attachment. However, be warned that there are some states that prohibits the use of helmet speakers, thus, be aware first of your municipal laws or ordinances.
8. Take extra care in handling your helmets. Be careful not to drop it because it will certainly absorb impact. Nevertheless, the next time you use it, the function of absorbing impact will definitely be reduced.
It will be better if you buy a rack or shelf to put your helmet on. That way, it will be protected and safe. No worries!
About the Author: Please visit Motorcycle Apparel Parts and Accessories site at http://www.motorcyclepartstrade.com for comments and inquiries regarding this article.