What Goes Around Comes Around
I?ve spent a lifetime committed to helping others. It?s what gives me the greatest joy, fulfillment and satisfaction in life. I?m also a true believer in the old adage - ?What goes around comes around.?
This is reinforced on many occasions when I encounter an old co-worker, friend or acquaintance who reminds me of how I inspired them, gave them guidance or helped them through a difficult time. These kinds of experiences always motivate me to keep putting good things out into the world.
We never know in advance what good may come from the gestures we put out there. Maybe it will inspire, encourage, educate, motivate or actually change someone?s life. In any event, people will always come away knowing that they matter to you.
In business, as in life, it all comes down to people. People are your customers, co-workers, employees, leaders, managers, investors and vendors. Success in your business depends on the people you encounter. How you treat those people will have a significant impact on your bottom line.
Here are some ways to help people in your business and show them that they matter:
1. Deliver incredible customer service.
2. Give a single parent the afternoon off.
3. Pay someone more than you need to.
4. Send a hand-written note to an employee acknowledging a job well done.
5. Loan a subordinate a book that you?ve found to be helpful.
6. Tell someone struggling ?I want to help you succeed,? and mean it.
7. Stop by and talk, without an agenda.
8. Share a resource that you?ve found useful.
9. Create a safe space for openness and honesty.
10. Let people tell you how they feel, and listen without interrupting.
I encourage you to think about the people that you impact, the lives that you touch and the positive changes that you can make. These are the true signs of leadership and in my opinion are more important than the money that you make, the position that you hold or the size of your office.
You can do good while you?re doing well. It may require you to think of new ways to do it, but when you focus on helping others, you?ll succeed in ways beyond measure.
About the Author: Dave Lindbeck, Business and Career Strategist - Founder, InStep Coaching - Success strategies for professionals in Financial Services, Real Estate and Technology - Learn more @ http://www.instepcoaching.com Subscribe to his complimentary e-newsletter, @ http://www.instepcoaching.com/instep_journal.htm - P.O. Box 7221 Phoenix, Arizona 85011 (602) 277-5170